In a thrilling clash in the ongoing season, league leaders Girona aim to maintain their supremacy as they go head-to-head with Celta Vigo. Girona’s unexpected surge to the top of the table has set the stage for a crucial away fixture against Celta Vigo, who are fighting for survival in the Spanish top flight.
Celta Vigo vs. Girona League Dynamics Recent Form and Strategies
Girona, defying expectations, currently leads the league standings, surpassing football giants like Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Atletico Madrid. The pressure is on as they strive to secure three vital points against Celta Vigo and fortify their position at the pinnacle of the league.
Celta Vigo, positioned 16th on the points table, faces a challenging scenario. Despite only securing three wins this season, a string of eight draws has contributed to their 17-point total. With just a two-point buffer above the relegation zone, they are in dire need of a turnaround to ensure survival.
Celta Vigo, with two wins in their last five league games, suffered a 2-1 defeat against Real Sociedad in the Copa del Rey. To stand a chance against Girona, they must elevate their performance significantly, particularly after displaying vulnerabilities in their recent outing.
Girona, holding the league summit with 52 points from 21 matches, has experienced only one defeat this season. With an impressive 16 wins and unbeaten in their last five league games, Girona faces the challenge of maintaining their lead, especially with Real Madrid lurking just one point behind.
Celta Vigo vs. Girona Team News & Expected Tactics
- Injuries & Absences: Joseph Aidoo, Franco Cervi, Jonathan Bamba (on international duty)
- Formation: 4-4-2
- Probable Lineup: Guaita; Mingueza, U Nunez, Dominguez, M Sanchez; Rodriguez, Tapia, Dotor, De la Torre; Aspas, Larsen
- Injuries & Absences: Eric Garcia, Juanpe, David Lopez, Joel Roca, Toni Villa
- Formation: 4-5-1
- Probable Lineup: Gazzaniga; Couto, Yaakobishvili, Blind, Gutierrez; Tsyhankov, A Garcia, Martin, Herrera, Savio; Dovbyk
- Celta Vigo has won seven out of 16 matches against the league leaders.
- Girona boasts the best attack in the league with 51 goals scored.
- Celta Vigo is among the lowest-scoring teams with 21 goals.
- Girona’s 17-match unbeaten run ended in their last Copa del Rey match against Mallorca.
- Girona has scored 11 goals in their last three matches but struggled to keep a clean sheet.
Player to Watch: Savio
The 19-year-old Savio, on loan from Troyes, has been instrumental for Girona with contributions to 12 goals in 21 league appearances. A key player in Girona’s title challenge, Savio’s performance will be crucial in this encounter against Celta Vigo.
Match Prediction: Celta Vigo 0-2 Girona
Despite a recent setback in the Copa del Rey, Girona’s impressive league form remains intact. With just one loss in the league and a solid goal-scoring record, Girona is likely to secure a 2-0 victory over struggling Celta Vigo. The visitors aim to extend their unbeaten league streak to 14 matches, while Celta Vigo faces a tough battle for survival.